Decolonization in the Global South: A Case Study
On the basis of the instructions provided below, research and write a 1,000-word paper that explores the process of decolonization in one of the following countries:
*Democratic Republic of the Congo
1) Choose one country among the fifteen provided in the list above.
2) Begin your research by consulting the following websites:
Africa Decolonization Timeline—The Global Syxty
Country Profiles—BBC News
These websites provide crucial information about decolonization as well as the history, geography, population, religion, year of independence etc. of the country you chose.
3) Expand your research using the Encyclopaedia Britannica online . Do not use Wikipedia.
4) Write your 1,000-word paper responding to the following questions:
A. Introduce the colonial history of the country, i.e. Who colonized it? When? What were they after? What was life like under colonial rule—for the colonized and the colonizers?
B. Cover the origins of anticolonial independence struggles, i.e. When and why did an organized movement to overthrow colonialism emerge? What influenced the emergence of these movements?
C. Discuss who the important leaders and organizations were in the struggle for independence, i.e. Who and what were they? Where did they draw their inspiration from? Were they influenced by other people, ideas, and movements? If so, which ones?
D. Describe how, ultimately, independence was achieved, i.e. Was there a war? Was it a relatively peaceful transition to independence? When was independence achieved?
E. Analyze what your country is currently like, i.e. What kinds of struggles has your country faced since independence? Can they be tied to their colonial pasts, and if so, how?
5) Include your sources in your paper and format your paper according to the APA guidelines.
6) Review your paper, check for grammar, spelling errors, typing mistakes etc. and submit it by the deadline.