3. Karen is a fifteen-year old girl. Her parents, Amber and Jay, are concerned that she is becoming increasingly moody and sensitive. They are worried that she is at risk of becoming depressed. In addition, they are concerned about Karen’s risk of using drugs, as there is a family history of alcoholism and substance use on both parents’ sides of the family.
A. Discuss the typical changes in mood in early adolescence. Discuss some possible reasons for Karen’s volatility in mood, looking at physical, cognitive, and socio-emotional factors.
B. Explain rates of risk of adolescent drug and alcohol use. Explain how adolescents make decisions about alcohol and drug use, focusing on Kohlberg and Piaget’s theories and peer influences.
C. Research warning signs of drug use and best practice strategies for encouraging adolescents to limit their drug and alcohol use.
Summarize the evidence so that Karen’s parents can support her in limiting her alcohol and drug use, and recognize and warning signs that her alcohol are drug use may be becoming problematic.
• APA-style essay format
• Include reference list (textbook, articles, websites, and any other resources you used)
• Include introductory and closing paragraphs
• Check your grammar and spelling! Points are given for content and format
• Late penalty is 5% per day
• Typed, double-spaced
• Minimum of 1200 words